Associate Development Counselor
Philadelphia, PA or New York, NY
Posted April 20, 2012
Dechert LLP, a growing international law firm, is expanding its talent team. As part of our commitment to talent management and our strategic goal of providing a supportive, high performance culture, we are seeking to hire an Associate Development Counselor. This role may be based in Philadelphia or New York and will require travel to domestic offices.
The Associate Development Counselor will meet with associates to provide career development coaching and assistance in identifying opportunities and resources. This role works directly with the Director of Professional Development and collaborates with practice group leaders and administrators as well as other members of the Associate Development team.
· Counsel individual associates regarding career development, including guidance on resume/CV writing, job search techniques and career-focused networking.
· Draft contributions to associate newsletters and host skills workshops.
· Keep current on employment issues (legal and non-legal), current market trends and job search techniques through reading, seminars, networking with recruiters and law firm contacts.
· Actively solicit job opportunities using all possible avenues, including recruiters and alumni, and meet with associates to recommend appropriate opportunities.
· Establish and maintain contact with groups, organizations, and individuals that offer services and information on placement opportunities, career transition information, job enhancements, etc.
· Assist associates interested in obtaining judicial clerkships.
· Establish and maintain library of publications to aid associates in transition.
· Join and maintain membership in professional organizations, such as NALP, PDC, etc.
· Prepare monthly reports of counseling activities.
· In-depth knowledge of large law firm and court system processes, including expertise in traditional and alternative career paths for legal professionals.
· Ability to teach the skills needed for successful job searches, career changes and transitions.
· Exceptional communication skills (oral and written), including the ability to build rapport and address sensitive matters with empathy, diplomacy and tact.
· Professional demeanor, maturity, and absolute discretion and confidentiality.
· Ability to multi-task, prioritize and coordinate concurrent projects independently.
· High level of organizational skills, attention to detail and follow-through.
· Undergraduate degree with counseling certification preferred.
· Previous law-related career services and/or associate development experience.
· Career counseling experience at large law firm preferred.
Diversity and Equal Employment Opportunity
Dechert LLP is committed to attracting a diverse group of the most talented professionals from all sources, regardless of background. We hire men and women with sharp minds, a passion for learning and a strong desire to develop. We want every employee at the firm to feel welcome with an equal opportunity to excel. Thank you for your interest in Dechert LLP.
This e-mail is from Dechert LLP, a law firm, and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, copy or distribute the e-mail or any attachments. Instead, please notify the sender and delete the e-mail and any attachments. Thank you.
Up to Top